Global Electric Motorcars (GEM) have gained uses at industrial complexes, universities, airports and planned communities due to environment concerns and fluctuating fuel prices. A GEM car is normally power-driven by a 72-volt-battery, which powers the electric-drive motor and custom controller. The battery is normally charged for 8-14 hours using an onboard charger. However, sometimes you may encounter problems charging this GEM car accessory, therefore is important to know how to troubleshoot GEM car charging.
Troubleshooting a GEM car charging
- Fault LED flashing: when the fault light of your charger flashes, confirm the number of flashes it makes as that will help you verify the kind of error. First confirm if the battery connections are faultless, before proceeding.
For charger 0606-00423, a flash on LED or light-emitting diode can mean, battery failure, high voltage, the battery is being charged by another power source or an open circuit. It’s recommended that you disconnect the connections and confirm condition of the battery. Once the faults are cleared, the charger will automatically restart.
- Two flashes on the LED charger can indicate low battery voltage. However, in some models, the 2 flashes signals that the battery voltage is out of range i.e. either too low or too high. This means that either you have not connected battery or it has failed.
Check connections and verify the supposed battery voltage, the first two digits in the battery model name indicates this – nominal battery voltage. That voltage must be the same to the charger voltage. Once fixed, the fault automatically clears.
- Three flashes alert that the battery didn’t charge. This can result if the capacity of your battery is superior than algorithm designates.
Perform the preceding steps, verifying the battery for low water or damage; if it is in right state, check connections to both the charger and the power source; confirm if the charger’s voltage matches the nominal battery voltage. You have to manually rectify this error by unplugging and replugging the cord after 30 seconds. However, if the battery is damaged replace it with a cost friendly one from the GEM car accessories.
- Five flashes signal that the charger is overheating. You have to manually rectify this error by powering down, and then wait for 30 seconds before restoring power. Place the charger in a breezy location, while disengaging dust or mud that might be blocking the charger’s vent. Once the charger’s temperature has fallen, it’ll resume charging.
- If the charger is not charging and the AC LED light is on, check the battery. Your battery has to be connected and in excellent state for the charger to start the charging. Verify nominal voltage and ensure this isn’t lower or higher than the voltage of the charger, as either case the charger will not start.
Software modification could alter threshold for charger’s starting minimum-voltage. You can perform software revision by referring to the manual and adjust as required.
- Excessive watering requirements or strong sulfur odor of battery signal high battery temperature or overcharging. Ensure that charger voltage is same as voltage and the battery pack isn’t too small. In case it’s a new battery from the GEM car accessories, the algorithm might have been altered. You can rectify this by following your manual’s instructions.
Knowledge on how to troubleshoot GEM charging is a very crucial; as you never know when you will encounter these charging faults. In case you need any battery or charger replacements you can always go to GEM Car Parts Direct.